HSWA History & Background Info
The Hampton Shaler Water Authority (HSWA) is a body corporate and politic incorporated in May 2011 under the Municipal Authorities Act of 1945, P.L. 382, as amended, by the Townships of Shaler and Hampton. The Hampton Shaler Water Authority was created as a result of a merger between the Shaler Water Department and the Hampton Township Municipal Authority and began operation on January 1, 2012. The Board of the Authority is comprised of five members appointed for five-year terms on a staggered basis.
The HSWA Board has fiduciary and policy setting responsibility for the Authority. An Executive Director, appointed by the Board, handles daily operations and policy implementation. The remainder of the HSWA staff, as well as the consultants, report to the Executive Director.
HSWA supplies over 1.3 billion gallons of potable drinking water annually to 23,600 customers in Shaler, Hampton, Etna and parts of West Deer, O’Hara, Indiana, Richland, Reserve, Millvale and Ross Townships. In September 2015, HSWA entered into an agreement to sell bulk water to Sharpsburg Borough.
HSWA produces 88.6% of its water at the Shaler Water Treatment Plant. The Shaler plant draws its water from 12 wells located along the banks of the Allegheny River in Shaler Township and Etna Borough. Although those wells produce very high quality water, the water is additionally treated and disinfected before it is pumped into our distribution system.
The Authority purchases 11.4% of its water through bulk water sales agreements with West View Water Authority (11%) and the City of Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority (0.4%).
HSWA’s distribution system consists of approximately 314 miles of water mainlines ranging in sizes from 1″ to 20″. The vast majority of the Authority’s water mainlines, approximately 99% are constructed from either cast or ductile iron. Approximately 1% of the Authority’s watermains are constructed of either PVC or transite pipe. Additionally, the Authority owns and maintains 1,660 fire hydrants and 10 water storage tanks with a capacity of 10.2 million gallons.